PPM remains fully committed to, and supportive of Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment (BBBEE) as embodied in the Codes of Practice and the Scorecard published by the Department of Trade and Industry. Our commitment to developing and empowering people is more than compliance, it is a tangible way to live out our vision of “being the difference in creating a better future”.
To this end it has been a continuing goal to improve the initial level 8 accreditation rating PPM received when rated for the first time in 2009.
The 2011/2012 scores in the defined domains of the BBBEE Scorecard are listed:
- Employment Equity 55%
- Skills Development 43%
- Preferential Procurement 60%
- Enterprise Development 100%
- Socio-economic Development 100%
These scores are based on
- Black employees in Senior and Junior Management,
- Skills development expenditure on Learning Programmes,
- Black Employees in learnerships,
- BBBEE Procurement spend
- Enterprise development contributions of 3.31% (target 3%)
- Socio Economic development contributions of 1.82% (target 1%)
In alignment with PPM’s vision of a mining industry where development takes place that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs, Enterprise and Socio-economic Development contributions exceed the compliance targets. True commitment is about more than amounts and percentages, it is a passion for the continued involvement in the development of individuals.
PPM’s Enterprise Development and Socio-economic Development initiatives:
- Full tuition and accommodation bursary for a previously disadvantaged female at a secondary school and full tuition for a second previously disadvantaged female at a secondary school
- An annual university student vacation employment program that places 3rd and 4th year previously disadvantaged students in vacation employment with PPM as well as with our technical partners and clients
- Support of a full time volunteer working for a registered NGO focussed on caring for abandoned babies whilst placing them in adoption homes
- Support of 3 small emerging businesses created by individual previously disadvantaged entrepreneurs, two of which are female
- Support of an NGO which focuses on entrepreneurial training and micro-lending
- Support of an NGO which aims to equip and support previously disadvantaged South Africans to establish and grow their businesses.
- Contribution of a specified amount of turnover on a specific project to enterprise development initiatives in the relevant client’s mining area.
PPM is committed to continuing with the annual accreditation process with a view to continued steady improvement of the BBBEE rating.